The name of the group shall be:-
WEST NORFOLK & DISTRICT CHINESE ASSOCIATION.
The objects of the Group shall be:-
- to represent the interests of its members and of the Chinese community to local government authorities and other public organisations
- to promote friendship and community spirit within the Chinese community
- to promote learning of Chinese language and culture
- to promote racial and community harmony and awareness
- to promote social and educational development, activities, and training for the purposes of
- introducing Chinese culture and customs to the local population
- learning English culture, customs and law by the Chinese community
In furtherance of the above objects, but not otherwise, the Group shall have the powers:
- to provide services and publicise its activities
- to raise funds and invite contributions
- to employ paid or voluntary workers
- purchase, rent or lease property or equipment
- co-operate with other voluntary, charitable or statutory organisations
- Membership of the Group shall be open to anyone living in the area who is interested in helping the Group to achieve its aims, willing to abide by the rules of the Group and willing to pay any subscription fee agreed by the Management Committee.
A member must be of legal residence of Britain , with a permanent address and a legal occupation.
- Every member (age eighteen and over) shall have one vote at General Meetings.
- The membership of any member may be terminated for good reason by the committee.
- The Group shall be administered by a Management Committee consisting of Chairperson, Treasurer, Secretary and not less than two other committee members elected at the Group's Annual General Meeting.
- The Management Committee shall meet at least six times a year.
- Any member of the Group may be co-opted onto the Management Committee to fill a vacancy.
- The Management Committee may co-opt a person or persons onto the Management Committee providing that person is linked with the objects of the Group either professionally or through business.
- The quorum for Management Committee meetings shall be three people
- Voting at Management Committee meetings shall be by a show of hands. If there is a tied vote, then the Chairperson shall have a second vote.
- Committee members' term of office shall be two years, after which they may be re-elected.
Duties of the Officers
The duties of the Chairperson shall be:
- to preside at meetings of the Committee and the organisation.
- as may be required by the Committee, to act as the principal spokesperson. on public occasions or when representations are being made on behalf of the organisation to public bodies.
The duties of the Secretary shall be:
- to prepare in consultation with the Chairperson, the agenda for the meetings of the Committee
- to take and keep minutes of all meetings.
- to collect and disseminate information on all matters affecting the organisation.
The duties of the Treasurer shall be:
- to supervise the financial affairs of the organisation.
- to ensure that proper accounts are kept with regards to all monies received by and paid out by the organisation.
- Any money obtained by the Group shall be used only for the Group. Any payments made to officers, or members will only be for reimbursement of reasonable expenses.
- Any bank accounts opened for the Group shall be in the name of the Group.
- Any cheques issued shall be signed by the Treasurer and one other nominated official.
- The accounts will be independently examined at least once a year.
Annual General Meeting
- The Group shall hold an Annual General Meeting (AGM) in the month July.
- Election of the chairperson will take place every two years.
- All members shall be given at least 14 days' notice of the AGM and shall be entitled to attend and vote.
- The business of the AGM shall include:
- receiving a report from the Chairperson on the Group's activities over the year.
- receiving a report from the Treasurer on the finances of the Group.
- electing a new Management Committee.
- appointing an independent examiner, or auditor.
- considering any other matter as may be decided.
- The quorum for the Annual General Meeting and any General Meeting shall be a minimum of 20 people.
Special General Meeting
A special General Meeting may be called by the Management Committee, if at least 10 members request such a meeting in writing. The Secretary shall give all members 14 days' notice of any Special General Meeting together with notice of the business to be discussed.
Alterations to the Constitution
Any changes to this Constitution must be agreed by at least two third of those members present and voting at any General Meeting.
The Group may be wound up at any time if agreed by two thirds of those members present and voting at any General Meeting. In the event of winding up, any assets remaining, after all debts have been paid, shall be given to another Group with like objects, or a registered charity.
Adoption of the Constitution
This Constitution was adopted by the members of West Norfolk & District Chinese Association:
Adoption of the Constitution On:2nd July 2004
Position Date…( 2nd July 2004 )
Kwai Li (Chairman)
Position Date …( 2nd July 2004 )
Denny Chan (Vice-Chairman)